Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Meditation

http://www.how-to-meditate.org/breathing-meditations.htm/

Hearing the word Buddhism instantly puts one word into my head; meditation. In researching Buddhism I found that I am what I would call an "antibuddhist." Not in the way that I don't like Buddhists, though I do disagree with the whole kill your mental self part, because I am the opposite. I try to get my happyness from acheiving things and quenching thirst and hungry and being pleased for as long as I can, then going to reacheive that feeling again later. This obviously leads my extreme stress levels and huge let downs when things swing the other way. So I decided to look into Buddhism a little bit and read up on how to meditate. I found these simple instructions fastinating. Anyone with any stress really should try this, it works rediculously well, though it takes great dicsipline. You find a nice quiet spot, and breath. Focus on that breathing, just keep focusing, until your mind calms. Its a wonderful feeling (and this is only the first phase!). When done on a daily basis, the distracting and stressful thoughts subside and your mind tends to be much more open and spacious all the time. Thinking more clearly and calmly leads to better decision making and faster mind. Putting this to the test is something I intend to do.

2 comments:

Vivian H said...

Wow, I'm so glad that meditation is looking like something that is helpful to you. I'm not totally sure about how this works as a blog post since you didn't quote anything or tell us any specifics about the article... But I'm glad it seems to have been a positive experience.

joey said...

This seems to be an amazing experince. I will try to do this when i am stressed out and ill let you know if it works. Thanks for the great advice!